Have you ever wondered how some people seem to be always in the know about technology news? How do they find these things out? Do they spend hours scouring the internet each day? Have you wondered how to stay on top of your favorite business blogs (like this one) so you don't miss any important tips that could help you run your business?
I have a solution for you. It's easy to set up, and it will give you one place to read or skim all your favorite blogs in one place. It's called Google Reader. I don't know how I ever lived without it.
What Google Reader does is bring all the blogs you want to read regularly into one place, so you don't miss anything. You can organize blogs into folders such as general news, photography business, celebrity gossip, technology news, etc. whatever you like to read. What is does is pull in what's called a feed each time there is a new blog post. Once you've read that post, it will no longer show up in your feed. You can star a post you want to refer back to, and the system makes it easy to email a post to yourself. I do this all the time for great business tips that I want to implement.
Setting up Google Reader
1. Open your web browser and go to Google Reader
2. Enter your gmail account to get started immediately; otherwise you can set up an account with another email address if you don't use gmail.
3. Add blogs to your Reader by clicking “Add Subscription” and then cut and paste in the address for the home page of the blog that you want to follow.
4. You can delete the default blogs that Google puts in there by mousing over the name of the blog in the column on the left and clicking on the little drop down arrow to the right of the blog name. From that menu you can unsubscribe, rename a subscription or create a new folder.
5. Blogs can be dragged and dropped into the folders you create.
6. To read these feeds on your iphone, you can download an app called Reeder, and it will import your feed.
7. Happy reading. Be sure to include the PhotoMint blog in your feed subscriptions: www.photomint.com/blog
Got a blog that you love to read? Recommend it in the comments.